Kristin Cavallari (Getty Images)Kristin Cavallari may be engaged to a big, burly football player, but she insists he has a romantic side – despite reports to the contrary.
Earlier this week, an interview the former reality TV star gave made it seem like her engagement to Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, 29, was more of a casual exchange than a romantic, life-changing moment.
“I was in the airport, leaving Chicago. We had just spent however many days together and we were texting and somehow it came up, like, ‘Oh, shall we get married?' We're like, 'Yeah, OK,’” the 26-year-old told E! News. “And then he sent my ring in the mail. So I actually had my ring sitting at home for a couple of weeks before I put it on.”
Her quotes quickly made headlines, but one major detail was missing in many of the stories: This was Cavallari’s second engagement to Cutler, not her first. After initially becoming betrothed in April 2011, they called it off in July, but then reunited in September. It was at that point that they again decided to marry – and he returned the ring to her.
Cavallari clarified the story on "Windy City Live" Friday morning. "We got engaged almost two years ago in April. We went to Cabo [San Lucas, Mexico], he got down on one knee, it was very romantic and sweet,” she said. “We then broke up, got re-engaged, and, the second time around, it wasn't a big deal for either one of us. I was doing ‘Dancing With the Stars’ in L.A.; he was here (Chicago). We weren't going to see each other for however long I was on the show, so he sent the ring in the mail. I didn't care. It was more about me wanting to wear the ring, instead of waiting three months.”
Cavallari and Jay Cutler (Getty Images)Cavallari, who welcomed son Camden with Cutler in August, then took to Twitter to reiterate that she wasn’t bothered by the casualness of her re-engagement. “Stop trying to make it something it's not,” she wrote. “We weren't going to see each other … and I wanted to wear my ring, so it was sent in the mail. Big DEAL.”
Although the couple called off their wedding the first time around – and Cavallari returned all the gifts they received at their engagement party with a note of explanation – they are forging ahead with their new wedding plans.
"We actually have a date," Cavallari says in an interview that will air as part of an E! special on March 10. "But we're not, you know, telling anyone details." She would allow that they had a location, caterer, and head count (160) all settled, and their wedding colors have been selected as well.
But no word on whether or not they will text their vows to each other during the ceremony– or Facetime from different sides of the room during their first dance at the reception.
More Celebrity Features on Yahoo!:
- Jessica Simpson Takes Her Baby Bump for a Workout
- Nicole Scherzinger Weighs in on Grammy Night Dress Code: ‘Keep It Sassy, But Classy!’
- Bar Rafaeli Recreates Go Daddy Kiss With Jay Leno ... Kind of (Video)