Katie Holmes and the cast of 'The Giver' (Twitter)
Katie's currently in South Africa filming "The Giver," an ambitious new project set in a utopian future co-starring Meryl Streep, Taylor Swift, Jeff Bridges, Cameron Monaghan, newcomer Brenton Thwaites, and others, and apparently someone over there convinced her it was time to give this social media thing a try.
Her first post? A reply to a photo posted by one of the film's producers, Nikki Silver. "loving South Africa!!!" she wrote.
Her first two original posts followed:
In her first seven hours on Twitter, Katie's already gathered more than 18,000 followers. But with great power comes great responsibility, and becoming an awesome tweeter isn't a skill you're born with. It's developed by carefully working on the craft over a number of years.
So with that being said, we have six suggestions for the former "Dawson's Creek" star.
1. Change that hideous selfie avatar. You clearly just turned around the iPhone and shot that pic of yourself willy-nilly, because honey, we KNOW you can do better than that. Your profile pic is a silly, flat grin and your hair is covering one of your eyes. It expresses zero emotion and says absolutely nothing about the star we love and admire. Katie, change that pic, stat! May we suggest a preview of your Halloween costume for this year?
2. Self-edit. We know you're smarter than this. Last time we checked, it's "director," not "directer" … but hey, maybe that's what it is in Afrikaans. Katie, part of your star power is that you come across as intelligent. Poor spelling could change that in a heartbeat.
3. Follow the right folks. You're off to a decent start here, with 10 initial follows, including your aforementioned producer @nssilver, co-star @taylorswift13, makeup guru @BobbiBrown, @VogueMagazine, and a handful of other brands. The problem is who's left out. Your other co-stars, including @TheJeffBridges, @CameronMonaghan, and @OdeyaRush1 are probably feeling pretty left out. But be careful about over-following! You don't want to look needy (but we do expect a little @YahooOmg love as thanks for our words of wisdom).
4. Pick a great background. Like your avatar, the page background is another chance to express yourself. Anything's better than the plain blue Twitter default background.
5. Learn to use #Hashtags. Hashtags are a Twitter must and using them the right way shows that you're in the know. We'd like to see you get something trending in the coming months. Katie, with your star wattage you can definitely do it, especially with all of the causes you support. You can use Twitter for a lot of good!
6. We need Suri pics. Wanna keep the paparazzi at bay? Try posting your own gorgeous photos of your beloved little one. We urge you to take a look at @IvankaTrump for guidance — she shares pics of her two kids sparingly, but they're always delightful. And, let's be honest, the chance of seeing cute photographs of Suri is one of the main reasons we hit that "follow" button in the first place.
Got more Twitter advice for Katie? Leave it in the comments!
- Arts & Entertainment
- Katie Holmes