However, the 35-year-old Mayer's current girlfriend, Katy Perry, has proven time and again that she's his biggest fan.
Here are five reasons why the 28-year-old "Roar" singer adores her on-again/off-again boyfriend of more than a year:
1. His exceptionally big brain. "He literally is a genius, as is evident from his songwriting," she says in the latest issue of Billboard.
2. He's a nerd at heart. Mayer wiles away his time in the bedroom with Perry in a way that you might not expect from someone who's as popular with the ladies as a young Warren Beatty. "We'll be in bed, and he'll be doing the crossword puzzle," the Perry shares with the mag. "Every night, he tries to finish it in under 10 minutes. When he puts his mind to something, he really gets it done very well. I always ask for his help."
3. His fashion sense. Obviously.
The couple wear Christmas sweaters. (Warner Bros/Getty Images)
4. He had her at his very first song. "I've been a fan of John's for years before I got to actually kiss him," she gushed to E! News last month when talking about the couple's duet, "Who You Love." "But I've been such a fan, I think he's so incredibly talented and gifted and a genius songwriter. So to be a part of anything he was doing was just natural."
5. He's "incredible." And don't forget "inspiring."
Do you think Perry will continue singing Mayer's praises forever?
More Celebrity Features on Yahoo:
- Burning Question: Is the Kanye-Kimmel Twitter Feud for Real … and Does Kanye Have a Point?
- Bring on the Daisy Dukes: Jessica Simpson Returns to Weight Watchers
- Kris Jenner, Where’s Your Wedding Ring?
- Arts & Entertainment
- John Mayer
- Katy Perry
- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Jessica Simpson
- Taylor Swift